Downtown Los Angeles Art Walk, World Art Day Writing Contest, 2016
Open to professional and amateur writers residing in the greater Los Angeles area.
In collaboration with IAA-UNESCO and in celebration of World Art Day (WAD) on April 15th, the Downtown Los Angeles Art Walk is requesting entries by local writers as a response to artwork by Turkish artist and World Art Day World President, Bedri Baykam.
Write up to 500 words in a genre of your choice (poetry, short story, prose, etc.) as a response to the featured artwork. Written work should be inspired by the art, and can explore gut reactions, emotions and/or thought processes evoked by the piece. Time is of the essence, so enter now!
- All forms of writing are accepted, including all forms of poetry, not exceeding 500 words, in response to viewing the featured artwork.
- Please submit your original compositions by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Sunday, April 10th, 2016 at 12:00 midnight.
- Written pieces must be submitted in Word or PDF format as an attachment (do not paste your work in the body of an e-mail). Please include your name and contact information, including an e-mail address and website (if applicable).
- Submissions will be juried by a juried panel through a “blind” process, where writing samples are numbered, and no author names or personal information will be revealed to preserve the judges’ impartiality. Winners will be announced April 11th, 2016 prior to the April 14th, 2016 Art Walk.
By participating in this contest, you agree to the terms listed here:
- If selected, participants agree that their submissions may be published on the Downtown Art Walk and World Art Day Facebook pages, websites and/or other electronic media (with attribution to the author).
- Artists must reside in L.A. County and able to travel to Downtown Los Angeles to pick up their prizes on the night of the April Art Walk, April 14th, 2016 or the Art Walk office during normal business hours.
- This event may be photographed and/or documented on video, and may be shared on Art Walk and World Art Day Facebook pages, websites, and/or other electronic media (with attribution to the author).
- FIRST PRIZE: The first prize winner will receive a signed, numbered, limited-edition copy of “50 Years From Bedri Baykam’s Press Book”, plus two tickets to the Downtown Art Walk’s Gala on April 13th, 2016, and a one-year membership to the Downtown Art Walk.
- SECOND PRIZE: The second prize winner will receive a limited-edition beautiful Art Poster hand-signed by the artist, Bedri Baykam, plus one ticket to the Downtown Art Walk’s Gala on April 13th, 2016.
- THIRD PRIZE: The third prize winner will receive a limited-edition beautiful Art International Poster hand-signed by the artist, Bedri Baykam.
About Bedri Baykam:
Bedri Baykam is one of Turkey’s most internationally-recognized artists and intellectuals. Born in 1957 in Ankara, Turkey, he started to paint when he was only two years old, and had exhibitions in Bern, Geneva, New York, Washington, London, Rome, Munich, Stockholm, and more throughout his childhood. He studied Fine Art at the Sorbonne University in Paris and drama in L’Actorat, Paris, and thereafter studied painting and film at the California College of Arts and Crafts, in Oakland. He returned to Turkey in 1987 and has since been residing in Istanbul.
As a pioneer of the New-Expressionism movement, and of multimedia and photo-painting political art, Baykam has had 125 solo exhibitions in various countries, in addition to participating in numerous group exhibitions.
Baykam has directed several 16mm short films/videos, has acted in Turkish feature films, and is the author of 23 published books.
Mr. Baykam is one of the founders of the Turkish Plastic Arts Association (UPSD) within the International Art Association (IAA) which is a partner NGO with UNESCO. The artist has been the President of UPSD-Turkish National Committee since 2006 and he is in the Executive Committee of IAA Europe and IAA World. Baykam is also the founder of the film production and publishing company Piramid and Piramid Sanat, www.piramidsanat.com, both based in Istanbul.
For info on World Art Day, visit: iaaworldartday.com/why-wad/
Hashtags: #worldartday #downtownartwalk